Friday, May 29, 2009

True Definition of the Black Love Experience.....On Film

I gotta thank Shaka Shaw for the comment on Sweet Sounds and Silence. It contributed to my urge to hunt down these lyrics and share with those who aren't privileged to know them by heart....
I was first introduce to the movie Love Jones when I was still a teenager. At the time I didn't know what it was like to love at all, much less to love with the intensity that we as a people do. If you have not seen the movie please do. It not only tells our tale but it shows our trials and tribulations just trying to love each other. This movie spans all races, colors and creeds but it portrays our natural fire only "we" can....enjoy

His Moan For Her:
Brother To The Night (A Blues For Nina) Darius' Poem .. Larenz Tate

Brother Ed
Word
Alright this is uh, a little somethin I been workin on
It's new
I call it uh, "A Blues For Nina"

Say baby, can I be your slave
I've got to admit girl, you're the shit girl
And I'm diggin' you like a grave
Now do they call you daughter to the spinnin post, or
Or maybe Queen of 2,000 moons
Sister to the distant, yet risin' star
Is your name Yimmy-Ya
Oh hell nah, it's got to be Oshun
Ooo, is that a smile me put on your face child
Wide as a field of Jasmine and Glover
Talk that talk honey, walk that walk money
Hound legs that'll spank Jehovah
Shit, who am I?
It's not important
But they call me Brother to the Night
And right now
I'm the blues in your left thigh
Tryin to become the funk in your right

Who am I?
I'll be whoever you say
But right now, I'm the sight raped hunter
Blindly pursuing you as my prey
And I just wanna give you injections, of sublime erections
And get you to dance to my rhythm
Make you dream archaetypes, of black angels in flight
Upon wings, of distorted, contorted, metaphoric jism
Come on slim
Fuck yo' man, I ain't worried about him
It's you who I wanna step to my scene
Cause rather than deal with the fallacy
Of this dry ass reality
I rather dance and romance your sweet ass, in a wet dream
Who am I?
Well they all call me Brother to the Night
And right now, I'm the blues in your left thigh
Trying to become the funk in your right
Is that alright

Darius Lovehall


Her Moan For Him:
I Am Looking At Music Nina's Poem .. Nia Long

This is um, something that I've been working on for a while
And I was hoping that a certain someone would be here tonight
But, I don't, see him, so
I guess I'ma get it out anyway
It's funny what you can do in front of a room full of people
That you can't even seem to do in front of one person

It is the color of light,
The shape of sound high in the evergreens
It lies suspended in hills,
A blue line in a red sky.

I am looking at sound.

I am hearing the brightness
Of high bluffs and almond trees
I am tasting the wilderness
of lakes, rivers, and streams
Caught in an angle of song.

I am remembering water
That glows in the dawn
The motion tumbled in earth
Life hidden in mounds.

I am dancing a bright beam of light

I am remembering love.

Thanks.

Nina Mosley

F.Y.I.....Alot of people are under the impression that Larenz Tate wrote this poem himself. Although the brother is talented this is not his work. It belongs to a very talented man by the name of Regie Gibson (also appearing in Love Jones). Here's a little info on him

Regie Gibson


Regie GibsonPoet, songwriter, author, workshop facilitator, and educator Regie Gibson has performed, taught, and lectured at schools, universities, theaters and various other venues on two continents and in seven countries. Most recently in Havana Cuba. Regie and his work appear in the New Line Cinema film love jones, based largely on events in his life. The poem entitled "Brother to the Night (A Blues for Nina)" appears on the movie soundtrack and is performed by the film's star, Larenz Tate. Regie performed "Hey Nappyhead" in the film with world-renowned percussionist and composer Kahil El Zabar, composer of the score for the musical The Lion King.

No comments:

Post a Comment